Sometimes it's necessary to topdress sod with a mixture of sand and compost to fill in low spots and make a smooth lawn.
This video above shows you how to topdress with our Soil³ Level Mix.
When to Topdress With Level Mix:
Topdress with Level Mix to level a warm season lawn when it's actively growing, after spring green-up. August is the last month for topdressing because in September, with cooler nights, warm season lawns start going dormant.
Tall Fescue lawns are not topdressed with Level Mix; for those types of lawns we recommend topdressing with Soil³ compost to provide nutrients during its prime growing season of fall through early spring (in the Southeast).
- Mow and dethatch your lawn before topdressing
- Broadcast Level Mix over lawn with a shovel or compost spreader
- Spread Level Mix to a depth of .25 - .50 of an inch
- Never completely cover your grass with Level Mix
- Use a push broom to work mix into the grass
- Water lawn to further help Level Mix settle in and to promote growth
We filmed our own video above, but our turfgrass friend Ron Henry also filmed a helpful how-to video about leveling warm season lawns. He shows you how to use a leveling rake, how to use frisbees to protect your sprinklers, and different ways to disperse Level Mix.
- Read Soil3's Complete Details on Topdressing with Level Mix
- Order Level Mix Online
- Purchase Level Mix from Super-Sod Stores